5/12/09

The Mother of All Lilac Festivals And Then Some

It was a gorgeous, hot Sunday in LA so we decided to trek up to the mountains to get a break from the heat. There's also the tiny fact that I'm obsessed with cinnamon candles and craft fairs and small mountain towns.

Scott made me breakfast in bed, the kids showered me with gifts, and by 10am, we were ready to get ready for our 1 1/2 hour drive out to an area called Frazier Park. Scott found out, through a friend, that they have a Lilac Festival complete with parades, crafts, cinnamon candles, and carnival-like food (elephant ears). No need to ask me twice, I was totally in!

Our drive up there was gorgeous and event free. The only odd thing about the trip was that the purple signs we were instructed to look for were nowhere in sight. No worries, though cuz I had my handy dandy Blackberry map. About 15 minutes from the amazing, wonderful, totally freakin' awesome Lilac Festival, it donned on both of us that maybe, just maybe, we/he didn't look at the dates correctly.

You guessed it. The Lilac Festival is NEXT weekend. 1 1/2 hours back down the mountain (and I-5) we went trying anything remotely fun along the way only to be disappointed. Restaurants were all packed. Gold course with driving range was for members only.

Mother's Day lunch was spent at the McDonald's drive-through. We did manage to hit some balls at a driving range back in LA and realized that our son has natural talent but no interest. We also shopped around for drums (electric...duh) for said son with natural golf talent. Squeezed in some "Happy-we-drove-to-BFE-mountains-for-nothing-Mother's Day" Bloody Mary's with Oon and Jase and then finally, at the end of the day, my sweet husband and daughter made my favorite food in all the land. Beef and Noodles. And it really tasted just like the kind you get from Chief in Defiance, Ohio(really, Mom, it did!)

I hope your Mother's Day was filled with (almost) Lilac Festivals, McDonald's, driving ranges, cinnamon candles, and Bloody Marys! All the best things that life has to offer!!

No comments: