8/29/08

The Noah Owl Box



My poor first born son finally has a toy box named after him! The first one (Noah Building Blocks table) I stopped offering about a year ago. Guaranteed, there will be lots of therapy for Noah in is coming years!!!

Anyhow, I designed and built this owl box for my excellent web designer. She has a Bertie but I thought two Bertie boxes might be a little boring so we decided on the owl.

I'm calling it "woodland mod" because I think it's a bit of arts and crafts style mixed with modern and would fit nicely into a room with a very natural, earthy modern look. And because I have to make up dumb design names now that I'm a designer in a British design book. :)

The owl eyes act as the handle on the lid. Children can put both index fingers into the eyes (like they're poking them out which is even more fun!) and pull back towards their chest and then throw the lightweight lid somewhere on the ground for all to step on. It's a brilliant system!!

The piece is 17 x 18 x 15 1/2 so it provides ample room for storing kid stuff...or wheeling a younger brother or sister around the house with intent of running over the lid that was thrown on the floor! Oh, the fun they will have!!!

I'll get this up on my website and online store soon! In the meantime, if you have questions, just email me(Kiersten@modmomfurniture.com) about it and I'll give you all the details.

Have a great Labor Day weekend!!



Veneer cut-outs make the circles surrounding the eyes, the nose, and the branch and leaves


(Can you see it? It's hiding in the "woods" since it's a "woodland mod" owl. I know...I know..)

5 comments:

darrylmasterson said...

that is a really cool design Kiersten! My kids would love that I'm sure. Makes me wish I had some money...

Anonymous said...

I love this design! Love the darker accents on this one, you are right, would look great in a natural room.

Henry+Lorraine+Lauren+Lucy said...

Love love love it! As usual, another stellar design and amazing craftswomanship : )

Anonymous said...

You're a genious. Whenever I have my first child I'll be sure to purchase one of these so he or she can practise running his younger sibling (two years later) over woodpieces he or she has strewn around the house before. Will you be shipping to France ?

Anonymous said...

Of all the office furniture, it won’t be wrong to say that sedie ufficio i.e. the chair is the most important. Chairs used in an office must be comfortable or else there are chances that the productivity of the employees is affected. While choosing the chairs for an office the profile of the employees must be taken into account. For example the chair for a person working on computer would be different from the chair of a person writing on the desk.