1/17/08

Fear Factor

Today is one of those days where, for whatever reason, I'm slightly more scared of the table saw than usual. Sometimes I psych myself out thinking "it's a sign" and then others, I just ignore and push through. I have to make some cuts with large scale ply today that can go wrong quickly because my table saw is too small and the wood too large.

When I went into woodworking I did it with complete fearlessness but sometimes the realization of what the blade can do creeps in. And the fact that I did a number on my finger back in the summer makes it all a reality I guess.

I jokingly tell my husband that maybe I'll just have a beer to relax before firing up the table saw. I do love woodworking and won't give it up anytime soon just need to keep finding ways to not freak myself out when I'm cutting...by myself....alone...in the garage. Oh, crap. Maybe I'll just clean the house today.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Want to bake a cake with me ? I'm making procrastination pie tonight. Not because of fear, but because of fatigue.

Kiersten said...

Yes, a cake sounds lovely. I'll be right over.

Jennifer said...

Sometime I sew after having a glass of wine. Takes the edge off from the day...never had a problem sewing my hand or anything, I nick myself more without it...Haha! Not like a table saw though. Maybe it's time to upgrade to one of those commercial grade Delta's or something...

Kiersten said...

I have thought of that. Maybe an upgrade is what I need. I did successfully cut the wood so NOW I'll have that glass of wine.

Litcritter said...

I very nearly went for the Sawstop after I took a chunk off my left index finger last year. Alas, the budget didn't allow for it. But they're working on a contractor saw that might be in your price range!

For really big stuff, I use a circular saw with a long straight edge clamped to the wood. I can go into more details if you're interested.

By the way, I love your stuff!